Sunday, December 29, 2013

Breaking Ground

After many weeks of research and planning, I was itching to start building the bloody thing. The lower hull went together easy enough. The challenge here was learning how to weld. My first attempts were; well, very poor. I am using an inexpensive flux core MIG welder. Not the best out there, but certainly capable of producing decent welds. When my skills get better, I plan on getting a more capable welder. Until that time, the funds have better uses.






Everything went together fairly easy. Welding was easier then I feared it would be. Mind you, the welds look atrocious, but they are strong. During this stage I was spending three times the amount of time cleaning up the welds as I was in actually welding.

With the basic part of the the lower hull frame complete, my plans were to work on the suspension. Welding at ideal angles is challenging enough. Throw in odd angles or upside down and it becomes a real bugger. At this stage the frame can easily be moved, turned or flipped however I need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment